Some days it all just falls into place. Mila wakes up when she’s meant to, I miraculously know exactly what to feed her for breakfast, lunch, and dinner (and her meals are balanced + nutritious!), and her sleep schedule is totally and completely textbook.
I’m sure I don’t have to tell you this, but those days are very few and far between. Usually, I wake up later than I mean to at the sound of Mila’s sweet voice singing from her crib, I scramble to get us both ready and take Milo out for a walk while answering emails and chugging coffee. It ain’t pretty.
I also seem to constantly run out of diapers (why don’t I have a better handle on this by now?!) which means an impromptu run to Walgreens is usually in the cards.
I can’t figure it out. Or at least, I feel as though I’m constantly half assing everything in life. I know I’m not alone (I can’t possibly be alone) but it does feel like everyone is doing this better than I am at this point.
I have learned a few tricks that have helped along the way. I mean, I know I’m not reinventing the wheel of motherhood here, and I’m certain these aren’t exactly parenting hacks but if they’ve helped me maybe they can provide a modicum of sanity to just one person out there 🙂
- Use time on weekends to meal prep. Personally, I prefer to do this over the weekend when I have a few extra hours at my disposal. I have a great cheesy egg muffin recipe I like to make that helps with Mila’s lunches throughout the week and I try and go grocery shopping so I have squeezable pureed veggies/fruit pouches, yogurt, cheese, fresh fruits and veggies, etc.
- Use time during the week to do the laundry. I fucking hate laundry so I don’t want to look at it over the weekend. GET OUTTA MY FACE, LAUNDRY! Also, listen to a fun podcast while you fold (this tends to make me a lot less stabby)
- Try and keep inventory of diapers, wipes, and anything else you go through on the regular so you don’t run out and lose your shit. Don’t be like me, you guys
- Don’t pay attention to what everyone else is doing on social media. Admit when you’ve had a shit day and find people who don’t judge you when you feel (insert emotion of the day here)
- Learn how to shrug off a bad day. Because tomorrow the sun will rise again and you have the chance to make up whatever happened the day before
- Lean on your friends
What do you do when you feel like everyone else has their ish figured out? Let me know in the comments!